Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
As an Environmental Scientist in our Health Sciences Practice, you would join a group of 70+ science professionals that provides toxicology, epidemiology, chemistry, hazard assessment, risk assessment, exposure assessment, environmental modeling, and related support that addresses the full spectrum of potentially hazardous agents, including chemicals and microbes. We specialize in identifying and quantifying the effects of environmental pollutants (such as metals, pesticides, criteria pollutants, and volatile organic compounds) on human health and the environment. We provide support for model and tool development and documentation, fate and transport modeling, exposure modeling, and risk assessment to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards and Office of Water to support the implementation of different aspects of the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and the Safe Drinking Water Act. We also support the EPA’s National Center for Environmental Assessment in developing risk assessments, such as Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) assessments, and the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) in answering scientific questions regarding human health. We provide similar support to other federal agencies, state and local agencies, as well as commercial and private groups.
Environmental Scientists at ICF contribute to the development of innovative, accurate, timely, and high quality products and services, typically working on multiple projects with all levels of staff. Environmental Scientists work with teams to perform data analysis and visualization; modeling of emissions, air dispersion, exposure, and risk; development and maintenance of models and tools; and development of scientific and general audience reports. Environmental Scientists have the opportunity to apply their academic knowledge, contribute to high-profile projects, and interact with experts and clients in the field while building content knowledge and consulting skills, including task and team management.
This position does not involve hands-on laboratory or field work.
This position will be located in Durham, NC with an Early 2019 start date.
- Conducting data and statistical analysis involving Excel, Access, and other software, such as R, SAS, Python, SQL, VBA, Tableau, and ArcGIS, to summarize and illustrate trends, develop and execute database queries, and develop and format modeling inputs and outputs
- Running various environmental models (e.g., inhalation exposure, fate and transport, chemical air dispersion)
- Researching a broad variety of scientific topics and synthesizing findings
- Reviewing scientific and peer-reviewed literature
- Contribute as a technical team member to data management tasks such as:
- Conducting data extraction and data entry
- Developing code or programs for data visualization and analytics
- Synthesizing scientific findings and communicating them through various formats and media (e.g., written reports, online websites, visualizations)
- Solving quantitative and qualitative problems
- Following, implementing, and developing standardized QA/QC procedures on modeling inputs and results, documents and reports
- Developing written standard operating procedures for various modeling support tasks
- Interacting and corresponding with project managers and clients
- Master’s degree in environmental science, environmental engineering, atmospheric science, physics, or related subject
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Recent coding/programming experience (skills in R and Python are highly preferred; skills in VBA for Excel and Access are advantageous)
- Recent data visualization experience (skills in ArcGIS are highly preferred; skills in Tableau are advantageous)
- Experience running models (atmospheric, dispersion, exposure, fate and transport, etc.) is highly preferred
- Ability to demonstrate quantitative and qualitative research skills
- Qualitative and quantitative data collection, analysis, and visualization skills
- Written and oral communication skills, including experience with scientific writing and developing and delivering presentations
- Ability to apply critical thinking and problem solving techniques
- High-level attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work under strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Capacity for working in teams, both locally and remotely
- Strong outreach and self-motivation skills
ICF offers an excellent benefits package, an award winning talent development program, and fosters a highly skilled, energized and empowered workforce.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement .
ICF (NASDAQ:ICFI) is a global consulting and technology services provider with more than 5,000 professionals focused on making big things possible for our clients. We are business analysts, policy specialists, technologists, researchers, digital strategists, social scientists and creatives. Since 1969, government and commercial clients have worked with ICF to overcome their toughest challenges on issues that matter profoundly to their success. Come engage with us at icf.com .
Durham, NC (NC05)
- Term [entry]
- Company ICF International