An opportunity has arisen for an Anode Scientist to join our team that specializes in the development of next generation lithium-ion high energy cell technology. The successful candidate will be laboratory based and will take ownership of anode/anode electrolyte interface development for high energy battery applications with a key focus on high capacity anode efficiency improvement. Primary job responsibilities include generating new ideas and approaches for the development of next generation high energy cells in accordance with A123’s technology roadmap. Attending to these responsibilities will require working closely with electrolyte, cathode, and cell scientists and engineers co-located in A123’s Waltham facility as well as in Hangzhou, China. This position is open graduates holding a postgraduate degree with some industry and/or academic experience.
- Anode development areas of focus include:
o Post electrode processing treatment development
o Exploring technologies to improve cell efficiency at component level
o Optimization of formation procedures
- Develop and implement synthesis and process strategies for the above areas of focus as well as the needed material characterizations.
- DOE development and use of statistical tools to evaluate effect of post electrode processing treatment processes, surface coatings, and optimized formation procedures on component and cell performance.
- Critically thinks about and provide solutions to current shortcomings associated with advanced high capacity anode materials.
- Manage lithium-ion cell fabrication, testing, analysis, and data organization associated with the advanced anode development.
- Analyze cell performance data and present summaries to all technical departments in order to troubleshoot and improve high energy lithium-ion cell components as well as update R&D management team on developments during weekly meetings.
- Ensure needed updates to anode development and testing standard operating procedures (SOPs) are regularly incorporated by and disseminated to the appropriate personnel.
- Interact with laboratory technicians, scientists, and engineers to ensure engineering statement of work (ESOW) tasks are completed within the agreed upon timeframe.
- Collaborate with strategic partners to develop advanced Li-ion technologies for high energy applications.
- Systematically review prior art and peer-reviewed publications for relevant information.
- Drives for Results – The passion to set and meet high standards of performance.
- Drives Accountability – The ability to establish clear, measurable goals and deliver on commitments.
- A fundamental understanding of advanced high capacity lithium-ion anodes such as Si materials ranging from their synthesis to incorporation into negative electrodes. Direct experience on techniques to stabilize those anodes and reduce irreversible capacity loss.
- Thinks Analytically – The ability to break down problems, gain understanding, and make effective decisions.
- Demonstrates an aptitude for independent and creative thinking as well as complex problem solving using innovative approaches.
- Strong background in electrochemistry and fluent in electrochemical techniques such as cyclic voltammetry, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, and common potentiostatic and galvanostatic methods.
- Proficient with Maccor, Gamry, Arbin, and Princeton Applied Research platforms.
- Knowledge of lithium-ion battery assembly, characterization and failure analysis.
- Proficiency in data analysis and experimental design utilizing Minitab and/or Excel VBA code preferred.
- Advanced written communication skills applied directly to the preparation of technical papers, patent specifications, presentations, applications notes, ESOW, SOP, and other such documents.
- Excellent oral communications skills with the ability to speak with clarity and interface effectively with co-workers.
- Effective time management in a semi-autonomous environment with the ability to work independently and as part of team.
- Ph.D. in electrochemistry, materials science, chemical engineering, or related field.
- Minimum 5 years industry experience with lithium-ion battery development at the component and cell level for more experienced candidates.
- Knowledge of unit operation, process development and scale up is a plus.
- Hands-on experience on prelithiation is a huge plus.
- Fluent in English
The position will be based in Waltham, MA.
- Term Entry +
- Company A123 Systems