A123 Systems, LLC has an exciting opportunity for a detail-oriented team player to lead R&D efforts to integrate leading emergent solid state battery technologies with A123’s manufacturing processes. The ideal candidate will have a strong record of achievement in the areas of solid state electrochemistry, Li-ion batteries, materials chemistry, or interfacial surface science. Primary job directives will include (1) developing scalable methods to incorporate high capacity anode and cathode chemistries with solid electrolyte materials, and (2) driving the minimization of anode|electrolyte and cathode|electrolyte interfacial impedance values both through internal efforts and collaboration with external electrolyte partners. The successful candidate will require exceptional communication skills and the initiative and patience to see large projects to completion.
- Maximize solid state battery performance within the constraints of large-scale manufacturing processes.
- Work with external collaborators to design, direct, and carry out experiments to achieve project milestones
- Build small-scale prototype cells to measure key metrics and demonstrate technology developments
- Document results, prepare reports, and present findings to leadership
- Contribute to generation of intellectual property
Specific Skills and Background
- Ph.D. with 3+ years industrial experience involving applied electrochemistry. Lithium ion battery experience strongly preferred.
- Research experience with solid electrolytes is highly desired
- Experience with DOE (Design of Experiments) methods and Minitab software is preferred
- Knowledge of lithium-ion battery manufacture, characterization, and failure analysis is highly desired
- Ability to clearly and confidently communicate through oral and written modes
- Familiarity and proficiency with advanced analytical techniques
- Comfortable with a “hands-on” approach to getting things done
- Ability and willingness to keep meticulous written and electronic record of experimental activity
- Ability to think creatively and analytically to solve technical issues
- Term Entry +
- Company A123 Systems