Who we Are: Borrego Solar is a leading commercial solar & energy storage company known for our quality, expertise, and focus on strong partnerships with our clients and communities. With more than 500 MW of solar installed since we began, we’re one of the most experienced players in the industry. We handle all aspects of solar & energy storage projects, from development, design, and financing to installation and operations & maintenance.
Be a part of our Mission: Borrego Solar’s mission is to solve the world’s energy problems by accelerating the adoption of renewable energy. Our team is on a mission to create a progressive employee experience that perpetuates Borrego’s culture as it scales. We are inspired by possibilities and are equally jazzed to execute a planful approach to make those possibilities a reality. Teamwork, integrity, a passion for others, and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our team’s success.
Summary of Position: This individual will program SEL protection relays and support Operation and Maintenance technicians in troubleshooting electrical failures of Borrego PV assets. In addition, the individual will effectively collaborate with a team of design engineers and project managers to design, review and approve electrical engineering scope of work for a wide range of commercial, government and utility solar PV projects ranging in size from 30kW to multi-MW. This person will provide technical oversight and expertise during design and construction of projects.
Position Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Provide technical oversight and peer review of commercial, government and utility solar PV projects designed by a Borrego design engineers.
- Work with local utilities and AHJs to expedite project approvals and ensure Borrego designs meet all requirements for interconnection and operation.
- Assist in cost reduction and value engineering efforts to ensure quality, safety, and code-compliance is maintain while driving down the cost of installation.
- Manage the electrical QA/QC of completed and in-progress projects, including coordination of site visits, processing RFIs and submittals, and support for project commissioning and start-up testing.
- Develop project-specific calculations and system modeling to verify or determine conductor sizing, short-circuit analysis, arc flash hazard, overcurrent coordination, etc.
Required Skills and Experience:
- 3-5+ years of PV experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- PE certification preferred. EIT with a path to PE certification will also be considered.
- Strong NEC knowledge and exhibited experience in building electrical systems and design, including sizing and specifying electrical service equipment, transformers, metering equipment, protective relaying and/or overcurrent devices, cable, conduit, switchboards, and panel boards.
- Experience with performing load calculations, short-circuit, and coordination studies. SKM (or similar) software proficiency preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with utility networks and an ability to act as the main technical contact to utilities for interconnection approval of parallel generation systems.
- Experience drafting or reviewing engineering services contracts.
- Experience in SCADA and protection system design is preferred.
- Experience in medium voltage system design of 4kV to 35kV is preferred.
- Ability to work independently and effectively with project managers, clients, consulting engineers, design, and technical personnel as well as product vendors and manufacturing partners.
- Must be confident and possess the ability to substantiate code interpretations and mathematically prove design concepts.
- Ability to effectively communicate design concepts and lead meetings between clients, project engineers, code officials and third party consultants.
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a casual community-based workplace that is upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction. We promote from within and are looking for career minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing photovoltaic industry. We offer pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
- Competitive base salary
- Potential for bonuses
- Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
- Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
- 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
- Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
- Term Entry
- Company Borrego Solar