Who we Are: Borrego Solar is a leading commercial solar & energy storage company known for our quality, expertise, and focus on strong partnerships with our clients and communities. With more than 500 MW of solar installed since we began, we’re one of the most experienced players in the industry. We handle all aspects of solar & energy storage projects, from development, design, and financing to installation and operations & maintenance.
Be a part of our Mission: Borrego Solar’s mission is to solve the world’s energy problems by accelerating the adoption of renewable energy. Our team is on a mission to create a progressive employee experience that perpetuates Borrego’s culture as it scales. We are inspired by possibilities and are equally jazzed to execute a planful approach to make those possibilities a reality. Teamwork, integrity, a passion for others, and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our team’s success.
Summary of Position: The candidate will work with a team of design engineers, project managers and engineering consultants to design, review and approve designs for commercial, government and utility solar PV projects ranging in size from 30kW to 4MW.
Position Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Act as a team leader to design multiple projects simultaneously from start to finish working with PE’s, Production modeling team, PM’s and Site Supervisors to provide a code compliant, cost effective design that maximizes yield and system size on Solar PV projects.
- Coordinate the development of the plan set with the project team and oversee the work of one or more Design Engineers.
- Schedule, run and/or supervise daily progress meetings and other meetings necessary to gain consensus with the team.
- Use his/her experience to assist the project team in making design decisions and build consensus within the team.
- Review and evaluate design requirements from clients, their 3rd party consulting firms, AHJ’s and others to summarize the changes from Borrego’s design standards for the Borrego team.
- Actively participate in negotiating with our clients regarding the impacts to projects on specific client requirements that are different from Borrego’s.
- Construction administration as needed as questions arise on site.
- Evaluate design options and changes to plans from our sub-contractors during the construction phase of projects and provide clear direction to the Operations team.
- Mentor 1 or 2 Design Engineers through their career paths including participating in their quarterly check-ins.
- Own the project’s design scope from start to finish on the projects he or she is assigned to; maintain the relationship with the project team including PE’s, PM’s and Site Supervisors.
- Take ownership of at least 1 of Borrego’s tools or SOP’s and update them on a regular basis.
- May be required to manage outsourced design partner’s work and maintain Borrego’s relationship with them.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar, Solar Engineering is preferred.
- 4-8 years’ experience in Solar or related engineering field.
- Knowledge and ability to interpret NEC and building codes required.
- Advanced knowledge of CAD and Microsoft office.
- Advanced knowledge of PVsyst and production modelling.
- NABCEP Certification and EIT required, management training preferred.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage design engineers to deliver high-quality project design.
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a casual community-based workplace that is upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction. We promote from within and are looking for career minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing photovoltaic industry. We offer pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
- Competitive base salary
- Potential for bonuses
- Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
- Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
- 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
- Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
- Term Entry +
- Company Borrego Solar