The GIS Specialist will support Enviva’s sustainability team with respect to data management and analysis, and will work directly with multiple teams to ensure the maintenance of our geodatabase and verification of features of our wood sourcing areas. The Specialist will be the technical lead responsible for ensuring that our sourcing practices align with our values.
The Specialist will implement the accuracy verification process for Enviva’s Track & Trace supply chain transparency program. This will involve, but is not limited to, reviewing collected data for accuracy and following up with team members as necessary, conducting spatial analyses, and summarizing findings for presentation to upper- level management.
The Specialist will manage Enviva’s geodatabase and will support the sustainability and wood procurement teams in understanding forest management, harvest, and land use trends in our sourcing regions. The Specialist will be responsible for querying, maintaining, and adding to the geodatabase, as well as for responding to questions posed by members of the sustainability team and others in a timely manner.
The Specialist will be responsible for helping the company to fulfill its vision of providing renewable fuels that improve the environmental profile of energy generation. The successful candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit and will be a creative and analytical thinker dedicated to Enviva’s mission of sustainable biomass sourcing. The GIS Specialist will report to the Manager of Sustainability.
- Implementing of Track & Trace Accuracy Verification Procedures
- Digitize harvest locations using ArcGIS
- Review and verify accuracy of tract-level data, such as acreage, age class, forest type, and others
- Follow up with foresters and others within Enviva about missing or inaccurate tract-level data that is discovered using the digital verification method
- Monitor latest research and data on forest management and land use trends in Enviva’s sourcing regions
- Conduct remote sensing analyses as a part of the verification of our sourcing
Track & Trace Geodatabase Maintenance and Team Support:
- Maintain Track & Trace geodatabase, including backing up the geodatabase on a regular schedule, updating the fields with new tract information, and adding new fields to the geodatabase as our Track & Trace data needs expand and evolve
- Create and update GIS data layers for analyses
- Create maps and conduct database analyses for use in presentations and public reporting
- Communicate findings to internal stakeholders to assist with strategic decision-making
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geospatial Technology, Geography, Forestry/Environmental Science, or related discipline
- 1+ years of GIS experience
- Experience in Remote Sensing preferred
- Familiarity with querying geodatabases
- Strong understanding of coordinate systems, projections, and map scales
- Familiarity with forestry and/or forest ecology in the US, especially in the US South
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Sound judgment, strong quantitative reasoning skills, and experience working on teams
- Term Entry
- Company Enviva