The Professional II Communicator will provide communications support and coordination for the Science and Technology Group in NREL’s Communications & Public Affairs Office. This position requires the ability to lead and manage multiple communications projects with limited supervision, as well as strong writing and editing skills for both print and web. Knowledge about online communications best practices and strategy as well as familiarity with technical and scientific publishing are required, as is strong attention to detail, quality, and the ability to maintain good working relationships with clients and team members.
The selected candidate will work directly with colleagues in NREL’s Communications & Public Affairs Office, as well as NREL technical and team leads, to develop and execute a variety of communications products, including both print and electronic media. The position has a strong focus on project and client management, including planning, budget and schedule development and monitoring, and the development of project proposals and agreements. The position also includes writing for print, web, and social media, as well providing event, webinar, and publishing support. The selected candidate will be assigned communication representative duties as required and must coordinate with other colleagues, including project managers, writers, editors, web developers, information architects, and designers.
The selected candidate must:
- Have experience in project management and web and print content development.
- Demonstrate strong writing and editing skills.
- Have a strong attention to detail and quality.
- Be willing to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects and deadlines under limited supervision.
- Follow NREL editorial style, comply with NREL and DOE print and electronic publication policies, and ensure high-quality products.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
Relevant Bachelor’s Degree and 2 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience. Or, relevant Master’s Degree or equivalent relevant education/experience. General knowledge and application of technical standards, principles, theories and techniques. Frequent application of industry concepts and principles. General knowledge of laws, regulations, principles, procedures and practices related to specific field. Skilled in problem solving, written and verbal communication. Ability to use various computer software programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or marketing.
- Experience with existing NREL and DOE programs.
- Experience with emerging digital communications, marketing concepts, social media, technologies, and practices is preferred.
- Familiarity with renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies.
- Term Entry +
- Company NREL