The position will be based in Tesla’s Sparks, Nevada Gigafactory with the Quality Analytical Laboratory. The lab’s role in the Gigafactory includes ensuring the quality of lithium-ion battery cells, molded, stamped, and cast materials, raw materials, and providing technical analytical services and expertise for troubleshooting factory operations.
- Own and operate major analytical instrumentation necessary for QC of internally recycled process water streams. This will absolutely include development work and operation of ICP-OES and IC along with various other analytical equipment. This position will involve work in both fume hoods and glove boxes.
- Lead method development for test procedures for process and wastewater streams. Validate developed methods, write SOPs, train and oversee daily implementation of these test procedures.
- Manage sample throughput, actively engage in test planning, and ensure that required throughput is maintained.
- Be responsible for ensuring all equipment is properly calibrated, consumable stocks are adequate, and proper PCMS (preventive checks, maintenance & service) are conducted.
- Take an active role in water system troubleshooting efforts (from an analytical chemistry aspect), and participate in regular water quality status meetings.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in the relevant chemical field.
- Demonstrated experience with IC.
- Have demonstrated experience in method development for various pieces of analytical equipment, preferably including ICP-OES and IC.
- Strong knowledge of aqueous-phase chemistry
- Able to perform routine sample analysis for a range of parameters in a high through-put lab in a timely and consistent manner.
- Detailed-oriented, able to work both independently and in a collaborative project-focused environment, prompt and dependable, and excellent communication skills. The ability to work independently by demonstrating excellent judgment cannot be overemphasized.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Able to relocate to the Reno, Nevada area.
Preferred Additional Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in a relevant chemical field and at least three years of work experience with water quality testing and analysis.
- Hands-on experience with many of the following analytical techniques: GC-MS, GC-FID, TOC, HPLC, TOC, titrators, pH, Colorimeters, etc.
- Familiarity with LIMS and sample meta-data handling. A strong background in data and statistics is preferred.
- Term Entry
- Company Tesla