MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER – SOLAR ARRAY
- Design of various satellite mechanism systems and/or the tooling associated with those mechanisms, specifically for the solar array sub-assembly
- Development of trade studies to identify optimal configuration of various mechanism assemblies / drive systems.
- Create and maintain design models in CAD, from the concept level to detailed design
- Conduct simulation analyses (dynamics, stress, thermal).
- Create part manufacturing requirement documents, drawings, specifications.
- Participate in test procedures and verification plans.
- Prepare detailed content for technical design reviews.
- Build and maintain documentation of bill of materials, mass property models, material lists.
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Masters of Science degree or PhD in aerospace or mechanical engineering.
- 2 years of experience in design, analysis and qualification of mechanisms and electro-mechanical systems for spaceflight.
- Proficient in 3D CAD Design (NX preferred)
- Proficient in stress, dynamic and thermal analysis
- Proficient in GD&T
- Experience in specifying and qualifying materials and components for space flight (some or all of: motors, bearings, lubrication systems, geared systems, actuators, hold-down-release mechanisms, hinges, dampers).
- Knowledge of electro-mechanical systems including motor drive electronics.
- Experience with DFX.
- Experience in having designs tested in support of flight qualification (vibe, shock, thermal, thermal-vacuum).
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Able to travel to other SpaceX sites as needed.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends when needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
- Term Entry +
- Company SpaceX