DE&Ps North American Commercial Solar team is looking for talented, self-starting design engineers to join us at our Sausalito, CA office where you will help design, enhance and deploy our commercial solar solutions around North America. As a System Designer on this team you will take on responsibilities throughout the solar design process, with special emphasis on qualifying potential projects and providing precise measurements of roof and ground surfaces . You will take multiple solar projects from initial conclusions on structural stability and electrical system design to interconnection with the field operations team. The environment will be fast-paced and challenging. You will be required to self-manage, learn quickly, communicate clearly and put to use a variety of technical and interpersonal skills. This position places you at the intersection of design and energy. You be working directly with senior managers and renewable energy leaders in a global organization. Come join us in this fast growing and exciting industry!
- 2+ years of experience in commercial solar PV system design
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering, or design related field OR associate’s degree with specific PV system focus with commensurate experience
- Knowledge of PV system related building and electrical codes
- Knowledge of OSHA construction safety standards, especially as it relates to fall hazards
- High proficiency with AutoCAD drafting software, Helioscope & PVSyst solar modeling software and standard office software applications
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact in a team environment
- Qualify complex sites for suitability of advanced PV system installations
- Master the measurement of system locations remotely and assess the implications of installing the PV arrays and completing the wiring given the site’s geometry and features. Provide guidance on this remote surveying and analysis to junior designers.
- Review basic PV system designs created by System Designers, provide feedback and issue approval
- Create and support in the creation by System Designers of complex designs using Helioscope and PVSyst. This includes tracking PV systems, storage systems, and other advanced solutions.
- Coordinate the technical responses to Requests for Proposals
- Master the use of manufacturer design tools, train junior system designers on tools, and review their work with these tools.
- Review preliminary bills of materials and track overall needs for material demand planning. Communicate material needs to project managers and purchasing specialist
- Support cost estimating by requesting quotes, maintaining material pricing, and communicating to project managers and sales directors for use in cost calculators.
- Manage vendor relationships to ensure adequate and current technical training on detailed engineering requirements is maintained
- Develop and enforce system design standards, processes, policies and cost analysis guidelines and train the junior designers on implementation.
- Maintain expertise of commercial scale solar products, interconnection & permitting processes and installation & commissioning practices and provide training to junior designers
- Maintain expertise of commercial scale solar products, interconnection & permitting processes and installation & commissioning practices and provide training to junior engineers
- Provide technical system design related training and support to sales team
- Provide documentation support to the operations team and review technical documentation created by System Designers.
- Monitor task status within design team and help coordinate and delegate tasks as needed
- Maintain knowledge of monitoring systems including setup of new sites and basic troubleshooting
- Term Entry +
- Company Direct Energy Solar