- Manage all aspects of solar project development from greenfield origination (or acquisition) to start of construction.
- Responsible for project management and milestone advancement for project development in markets within CAISO and WECC
- Ownership of project economics – responsibility for each project’s financial model, including accuracy of inputs and adhering to corporate modeling standards, and coordinating updates with respective internal groups
- Optimizing project value within the expectations and limitations of potential long-term owners
- Identification, quantification, and management of risks within the expectations of Sr. Leadership, equity investors, and lenders.
- Leadership of regularly scheduled meetings to coordinate broad communication of project events, issues, and challenges across an integrated, multidisciplinary team of colleagues. Guide team resources towards prioritized efforts, while creating structure and accountability across team workflow. Orchestrate input and participation from a diverse group of internal subject matter experts
- Track project level progress, risks, opportunities, and economics. Provide insightful analysis and reporting to management
- Drive decisions and prioritize resource deployment based on a deep understanding of schedule dependencies and economic impact
- Manage consultants, external stakeholders, and other third parties to ensure project success
- Determine key metrics for the evaluation of major project level approvals of contractual obligations and deployment of capital
- Management of relationships with key external counterparties at transmission operators and system operators to facilitate project advancement through the application, study, negotiation, and execution phases
- Lead the negotiation of interconnection agreements
- Develop strategy for the filtering of site acquisition targets to minimize cost and risk
- Analyze merits and risks of project acquisition targets and new market entry assessment
- Support power marketing, permitting, EPC, M&A and financing processes through document preparation, lead origination, negotiations, and analysis.
- Conduct due-diligence and analysis on new opportunities (acquisitions, partnerships, proposals)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of the full-cycle of utility-scale renewable power generation development and marketing.
- Extensive knowledge of interconnection, permitting, real estate, state/federal regulation, utility procurement goals, politics, law and other issues that impact development of renewable energy projects in the western energy markets.
- Detailed understanding of the interconnection process (study process, contracting, utility requirements, financial obligations, and scope execution by utilities) to both site projects optimally and to advance them through COD.
- Solid understanding of economic drivers within our business.
- Concisely frame issues by providing context, analysis, recommendations and risk/benefit tradeoffs, both in written and verbal format, to project teams and to senior management.
- Create control and influence over the costs, terms, and schedules of key project milestones that are heavily dependent on external counterparties, often without strong commercial recourse.
- Strong understanding of the relationships within a project schedule in order to prioritize teams’ resource allocation
- Highly resourceful and able to design process for the advancement of project milestones and navigate through key risks where little structure is established.
- Highly proficient in MS Excel (advanced proficiency required), Project, Word, and PowerPoint, as well as Google Earth
- Independent self-starter who can meet deadlines and deliver quality products with minimal oversight.
- Substantial ability to recognize opportunities, identify and evaluate risks in a development context as well as effectively communicate the foregoing.
- Demonstrated ability to translate contracts and financing agreements into concise financial and economic analysis.
- Ability to manage a large workload, often providing support to processes managed by colleagues, while prioritizing tasks and effectively juggling competing deadlines.
- Detail-oriented with a strong sense of personal responsibility and ownership of work product.
- Excellent personal organizational and pattern recognition skills.
Experience & Education
- 4-year degree required; MBA preferred
- 3 – 5 years of experience in energy infrastructure development in western energy markets
- Proven experience with land, permitting, interconnection, and power marketing aspects of solar and/or renewable project development
- Successful track record of managing complex transactions and/or projects (preferably in real estate, sales management, power development, or finance)
- Term Entry +
- Company Recurrent Energy