SunPower Corporation, a leader in the solar industry and provider of the world’s highest efficiency solar panel, is searching for an experienced Director of Capital Equipment. The position is based in San Jose or China and reports directly to the Vice President of Upstream Supply Chain. The individual who fills this position will be lead the Capital Procurement team working directly with the R&D organizations in San Jose and the company’s Cell and Module Manufacturing groups, primarily based in the Philippines, Mexico, and Malaysia.
The Capital Equipment Director will work closely with the Sunpower’s Equipment R&D, High Volume Manufacturing team and Legal team to develop & execute unique capital equipment sourcing strategies for SunPower’s Next Generation Technology (NGT).
In addition, the Capital Equipment Director will have primary responsibility for managing Sunpower’s North American, European-based equipment suppliers and sourcing emerging China suppliers while continuous improving business processes for the Capital Procurement organization where needed.
The Capital Procurement Director will work with the various equipment teams within R&D and Manufacturing to develop new sourcing and IP strategies. The Capital Procurement organization is responsible for assessing, sourcing, and managing SunPower’s capital equipment suppliers, supporting SunPower’s solar cell and module manufacturing operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute long term Capital Equipment Sourcing strategies aligned with SunPower vision.
- Develop and drive various license agreement with suppliers for long term win-win outcome.
- Secure SunPower Intellectual Property by driving Joint Collaboration Agreements
- Work collaboratively with Equipment R&D engineers and capital procurement managers to develop and execute SunPower’s cell and module manufacturing equipment strategies
- Assess and select potential new equipment suppliers
- Project manage the introduction of new toolsets including spec development, manufacturing monitoring, tool delivery, and installation
- Enforce adherence to Sunpower’s Supplier Management System
- Achieve cost, quality, and delivery goals and objectives for solar cell and module equipment
- Strive to achieve competitive sourcing among multiple qualified suppliers through development and execution of commodity strategies
- Develop and negotiate supply contracts
- Design and execute enhanced new product introduction business processes
- Manage supplier performance and capability development
- Travel requirements vary and may be extensive at times.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of people management experience
- Advanced degree preferred
- OR equivalent combination of education and years of related experience
- 10+ years’ experience in a procurement, manufacturing operations, and IP knowledge and Contract Management
- Experience with highly technical capital equipment a must
- Experience assessing and rating the financial and operational capability of potential suppliers
- BS/BA degree required; Engineering degree preferred
- MBA degree
- Paralegal Certification or an extensive experience in IP centric deal management a plus
- Experience in various I.P. centric deals e.g. Joint Development Agreement, Exclusivity Agreement, Cross Licensing Deals.
- Experience strategic sourcing/selling high-tech, complex capital equipment, preferably semiconductor or Solar manufacturing equipment
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a highly matrixed environment
- Ability to successfully interact and positively influence at all levels within organizations, included executive levels
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Fluent in English.
- Speaking Chinese would be a benefit in this role.
- Ability to assess the financial condition and operational capability of suppliers
- Strong business acumen
- Experience with Asia-based capital equipment suppliers
- Outsourcing experience a plus
- Extensive contract negotiation experience
- Term Entry +
- Company SunPower